Islamists armed with Kalashnikovs and pick-axes have destroyed the centuries-old mausoleums of saints in the Unesco-listed city of Timbuktu in front of shocked locals, witnesses say.
The attack by the al-Qaida-linked Ansar Dine group came days after Unesco placed Timbuktu on its list of heritage sites in danger and will recall the 2001 dynamiting by the Taliban of two sixth-century statues of Buddha carved into a cliff in Bamiyan in central Afghanistan.
“They are armed and have surrounded the sites with pick-up trucks. The population is just looking on helplessly,” said a local journalist, Yeya Tandina.
This blog may contain nudity.
- lavinrac reblogged this from mostfleetingofall
- mostfleetingofall reblogged this from jasencomstock
- lolcalnews reblogged this from howto-kissdistinctly-american
- lolcalnews likes this
- resurrecthobbes likes this
- salaamworld likes this
- thedisgruntledgradstudent reblogged this from howto-kissdistinctly-american
- jasencomstock reblogged this from howto-kissdistinctly-american
- jasencomstock likes this
- howto-kissdistinctly-american reblogged this from sexartandpolitics
- blissandzen likes this
- sexartandpolitics posted this